Transforming Your Rental with DIY Decor
It’s common for renters to be worried about personalizing their rented homes. However, there is no need to completely avoid expressing yourself just because of a rental agreement document. In reality, renters can make plenty of adjustments without damaging their rental property. One of the best ways to do this is by transforming your rental with DIY decor. DIY decor ideas allow you to express yourself fully and are also great for staying on budget while personalizing your home. Let’s list some of our favorite rental decor ideas so you can get inspired and start making your rental home your own.
Wallpapers are a very popular choice for renters who need a simple project that’ll help personalize their home. Installing peel-and-stick wallpaper is fairly easy, and they are great for renters since removing them is pretty straightforward. Just as it can be easy, it can also be extremely effective if done right. You can also get very creative with how you will incorporate the wallpaper into your rental. You can choose whether to use a traditional pattern wallpaper or create an accent wall with a more intricate mural.
Pro tip – If you want to be frugal with this and make this more of a crafty project, you can use wrapping paper instead of traditional wallpaper.
Great design ideas for wallpapers
- Fully covered room – If you go for a simple pattern that isn’t too distracting, a good idea might be to install wallpapers on every wall in a room. This way, it’ll still have a big impact on the look of your room, even though the design of the wallpaper itself might be a bit simpler.
- Accent wall – When working with more intricate wallpaper designs, you’ll want to stick to a single accent wall. This tip is fairly obvious when it comes to wallpaper murals; however, it should also be applied to more intricate pattern designs. If you fully cover a room with a detailed and colorful design, it can make it feel hectic and cramped.
- Cover other things – Wallpapers can also work well on other features in your home. You can adorn your doors with cool wallpaper to accent them. Or you can apply it to pieces of furniture you’re not allowed to replace.
Wood plank wall
Working on your walls is one of the most impactful ways of transforming your rental with DIY decor. So, sticking to the topic of wall decoration, let’s talk about wood plank walls. This is a project that is much more involved than installing wallpaper. However, it’s the right decision if you want to achieve the trendy “modern farmhouse” look in your rental. The basics of it are simply covering a wall in wooden planks to achieve a more natural look. However, you can get creative with the final look since planks are available in many different colors and finishes, and you can arrange them in many different patterns.
A great option for renters is to use removable strips to mount them. This makes removal a lot easier once the time comes to move. Although it is a bit more difficult, it’s also an extremely fun project, and the result can be even more rewarding than wallpaper.
Be smart about this
This is a huge project, and while it can be easily taken off, the process can be a huge bother. Experts from Best Cross Country Movers encourage you to consider whether you’ll be staying in the home for long enough for something like this to pay off. If not, you can always just do it in your next place after you move. Transforming your rental with DIY decor is always going to be fun, but you have to ensure that it won’t be a waste of your time and money in the long run.
Do some simple crafts
One of the most fun ways of transforming your rental with DIY decor is doing some DIY crafts. With crafts, you can make decorations that fit your aesthetic perfectly. Aside from allowing a great deal of creative expression, they are also suitable for every skill level. From simple things like decorating a mason jar to making your pillows, there’s a craft out there for everyone. And nothing beats the feeling of walking around your apartment knowing that a piece of its decor is your handiwork. Additionally, crafting your home decor is a great way to save money while furnishing your rental.
All in all, DIY crafts are a great way to enhance the look of your rental home. They can even be done by simply repurposing some materials you no longer need.
DIY decor craft ideas
- Glass bottles and fairy lights – Simply painting over a glass bottle with some color and filling it with cute fairy lights can be a great option. This can help make your home feel cozy and warm.
- Mason jars and tea lights – Similar to the bottles, a mason jar is another thing you can repurpose to cozy up your apartment.
- Make your dream catcher – There are plenty of tutorials online regarding how you can make your dream catcher, and depending on your home’s aesthetic, they can complement your home.
- Use a skill you have – If you know how to sew or crochet, you can create many wonderful pieces for your home. Or, if you enjoy painting, you can create a gallery wall of your work. Whatever DIY skill you have, try to apply an expression of it to your home decor.
There are countless fun crafts out there that you can do. Make sure to look for inspiration everywhere, whether in a magazine or an app like Pinterest or Instagram.
Transforming your rental with DIY decor is a great way to make it feel more like home. But sadly, many people give up on the idea too soon because they are afraid of causing problems with their landlord. However, as long as you stick to things that are easy to remove and maintain good communication with your landlord, there are ways to make a rental more personal without causing any trouble. Also, make sure to avoid some of the most common rental furnishing mistakes. While DIYs can sometimes be a bit more challenging, they can also be a lot more rewarding.